iPad 4 - 4G vs no 4G

Discussions about what to spend that hard fought for tax refund on
KRaM
Clan Poet

iPad 4 - 4G vs no 4G

Postby KRaM » Fri May 11, 2012 9:15 am

Looking at the new iPad3 - would it be true to say that the wireless +4G is not worth it given the local teleco network doesnt support it? Or am I missing something?

Keith

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: iPad 4 - 4G vs no 4G

Postby Brad » Fri May 11, 2012 1:27 pm

Nobody in Australia supports the 4G spec that the IPad uses. However, the "4G" chip in the new iPad also supports the LTE specs that telstra and optus are rolling out - I get download speeds of ~20Mbit in the city on my ipad over Telstra's network.

As to whether it is worth paying for the 4G over the wifi version - that is a really hard question. I would have said no 12 months ago, when I was quite happy with my wifi version. However, I have since upgraded to the new one with the 4G and I couldn't go back. You don't realise how convenient it is always being connected until you've got it.

Note that the 4G version also has GPS included, which the Wifi version doesn't have.

I assume that you are inquiring about the one you are about to acquire for someone else... I would suggest going for the 32Gb version before going to 4G.

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Re: iPad 4 - 4G vs no 4G

Postby KRaM » Fri May 11, 2012 1:41 pm

Cool - he is on the move quite a bit so the 4G may be the way to go. Let me see how many people wew have in and we might be able to do both.

Keith

Return to “Hardware”