ADSL Modems and Network Switches

Discussions about what to spend that hard fought for tax refund on
Fantom
Almost a man
Almost a man

ADSL Modems and Network Switches

Postby Fantom » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Our house has sucessfully killed another ADSL Modem :evil:

This one lasted 18 months. I still have a ADSL1 modem so we are back on the interweb.

As a result, I am looking for suggestions for a new ADSL Modem. Requirements are ADSL2+, wireless access point and robust VOIP support for Naked ADSL. Oh, and the ability to not DIE would be nice...

It would be good to have 2 VOIP ports on it that could be connected to different VOIP providers (i.e. the 2nd line for business).

On a seperate note, can anyone recommend a 24 port GB switch?

Cheers,
Bill
Cheers,

Bill

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: ADSL Modems and Network Switches

Postby Mort » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Although I currently have mixed feelings for them, the Billion ADSL modems do quite well at ticking all the boxes and for the most have been quite robust. I started having issues with mine recently which I suspect is due to a dodgy firmware, but I haven't had time to figure it out.

24port switch? for home or work? The answer is - Depends how much you want to spend. Managed, unmanaged... why the hell do you need 24 ports?

I've been using D-link switches for years now without issues, mostly because they come in a format, are metal and brackets that allow me to rack mount them.
ITEstate has a nice selection to look at to get you thinking:
http://www.itestate.com.au/pages/produc ... 584&type=3

Fantom
Almost a man
Almost a man

Postby Fantom » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Mort wrote:24port switch? for home or work? The answer is - Depends how much you want to spend. Managed, unmanaged... why the hell do you need 24 ports?

I want a good one, so am willing to spend a bit. Unmanaged would be fine. Like the thought of PoE ability, but don't know what I would put on the end of the wire.

Why? Because I am going to network our new house up to waahzoo. Okay, maybe not as far as Brad did, but still a lot...

Am still trying to decide between CAT 5 and CAT 6.

:D
Cheers,

Bill

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:15 pm

You don't need 24 ports, 16 would be plenty lots. You don't need to have every single port actively patched, and not all would be network anyway, some may be normal phone or other. Just patch port as you need them. Besides, in another 2 years you can just upgrade it to a 10GB switch.

I don't know if anyone would even supply "CAT5" anymore. I'm pretty sure most cable now would be CAT6 rated. It's not really going to make much difference for just doing gigabit through small runs like your house, but the real difference in the quality of the stuff you use for the wall connections etc. Brad is probably in a better position to advise based on the more recent research he conducted.

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:41 pm

I got a TP link 24 port unmanaged Gigabit switch which I am quite happy with. From memory it was about $180, but the prices of networking stuff seem to vary materially over time and between suppliers. I think the step from 16 to 24 ports was only $30 or so on an unmanaged switch.
You need to allow for the patch panels and the cables as well, which can easily cost more than the switch.

As Scott says, I'll probably never use the 24 ports, but it is nice to just leave half of the ports connected, so you can just plug in, rather than having to go to the cable room to connect.

By the time you figure computers for everyone in the family, wireless routers, printers, servers, TVs, bluray / dvds, foxtel, appletv, fridge, whatever else is internet connected I figure the ports will get used over time. I'm using about 12 of mine so far... The more stuff that is using the cabled network, the better you available bandwidth on wifi will be.

Gigabit cabling is standard - costs the same assuming anyone bothers with lower rated cable now, but the gigabit sockets cost a little more. They need to be slightly different to meet the crosstalk specs of Cat 6. I am/was always planning to run TV over mine and the Cat 6 makes a difference to how far you can run the video.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:59 pm

That said, I'm running gigabit quite happily around my house using pre-gigabit era "cat5" rated cable and wall points, and I installed it myself. Although I was careful to follow the specs more closely than many "professional installations" I've seen at work as far as cable twists and terminations are concerned.

Fantom
Almost a man
Almost a man

Postby Fantom » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:40 pm

I have done a fair amount of costing already.

The layout I am looking at will have 22 cables and ports around the house, of which 11 will be plugged into the switch and 4 into a Telephone to RJ45 Module.

There will be 2 ports in each faceplate - 1 for data and the other being for phone, data or spare for the first port.

The switch will also have 2 devices directly cabled being the ADSL Modem and the NAS - i.e. in the rack with the switch and patch panel.

The other bit that I am trying to figure out is the rack size. My preference is a 12 RU rack by 45cm deep, but am concerned that the Director of Internal Affairs may have something the say about that (too big). After all, it is going to be in either the "walk-in" linen or "walk-in" pantry...

I think that a 12RU rack will be big enough for all of the current things while having room for growth (e.g. NBN, UPS, etc).
Cheers,

Bill

Brad

Postby Brad » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Couple of comments:
- 2 ports is unlikely to be enough at the point where your tv / media unit sits, unless you plan on having a secondary switch sitting there.
- You have to ventilate the space where the rack sits - I've never understood why people want to hide them in a cupboard. Why not put it in the back of the garage or something. Every issue I've ever seen with lousy connection issues from a modem was because it was overheating.
- My "rack" consists of 2 planks, mounted the requisite distance apart, and running floor to ceiling. Just screw the switch etc into the planks. Couldn't seem to justify paying a grand for a rack when you could build something for $50. (Unless you are like some that can skive cast-offs for free...)

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:10 pm

You don't need to spend a grand to get a proper wall-mount rack
http://www.itestate.com.au/pages/produc ... 711&type=3

but I agree with putting it in the garage or similar. On the wall it can be up out of the way, and if you put it in a cupboard space then you'll never hear the end of it "There's not enough room for the towels", "Now I we can't fit in all the cereal boxes"...

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:48 am

if you put it in a cupboard space then you'll never hear the end of it "There's not enough room for the towels", "Now I we can't fit in all the cereal boxes"...

or where are we going to hide that dead hooker from the kids?

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:42 pm

KRaM wrote:or where are we going to hide that dead hooker from the kids?

You're going to need a 36 or 42U rack to fit a whole body in. You might be able to fit it in a smaller one if you chop it up, but then you probably won't be able to fit the NAS box in.

Fantom
Almost a man
Almost a man

Postby Fantom » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:32 pm

Brad wrote:- 2 ports is unlikely to be enough at the point where your tv / media unit sits, unless you plan on having a secondary switch sitting there.

I never said how many face plates were going to be in the lounge room :)
A secondary switch would be fine (if needed).

Mort wrote:You don't need to spend a grand to get a proper wall-mount rack
http://www.itestate.com.au/pages/produc ... 711&type=3

That was the kind of size I was looking at, but I am also thinking about 18RU (90cm tall) which I have seen for about $100 more.

Mort wrote:but I agree with putting it in the garage or similar. On the wall it can be up out of the way, and if you put it in a cupboard space then you'll never hear the end of it

Sheesh! I didn't say cupboard, I said walk in linen or walk in pantry - they are almost bigger than Luke's current bedroom. Besides, do you think I want to put expensive comms equipment and the NAS with all of our data on it in the garage with no alarm covering it???
"Great firewall he had. Pity about the garage door..."
The other advantage is that you could refrigerate the rack and then you have a cold storage for your dead "meat" in the pantry...
Cheers,

Bill

Return to “Hardware”