Harddrive benchmarks

Discussions about what to spend that hard fought for tax refund on
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Harddrive benchmarks

Postby Mort » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:37 am

Bought a new Seagate 2TB drive last night to replace my aging RAID disks. Since getting the SSD the rattle of the old disks has started to stand out quite noticeably.

My current disks are SATA1 connected to a SATA2 controller as RAID0. They work well enough and they were only ever intended to be a "temporary" solution until SATA3 disks had become a reality... that was several years ago now :)

So anyway, new disk in, and started copying everything from the RAID to the new disk, and it's amazing to see just how slow the old disks are, even in RAID0.

ATTO benchmarks:
SATA1 RAID0 - read and write both sit constant around 100MB/s
SATA3 2TB - read and write both sit constant around 150MB/s (also completely silent)
SATA3 SSD - Read around 450, write around 250
The SATA3 on my motherboard is a Marvel chipset "add-on" that has been reported as being not very good compared to newer native SATA3 built in to the chipset, but it seems to be working well enough.

Interestingly the results from the SSD are much improved in Win8 compared to when I last ran them under Win7, so either the disk is "bedding in" which some reports have mentioned, and/or Win8 has some fantastic optimisations that work well with SSD.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Re: Harddrive benchmarks

Postby KRaM » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:29 pm

Not sure if I have my new SSD/HDD array tweaked to perfection but I has made the whole PC experience way quicker. Still have to figure out how to use that Steam script properly - might need to give you a call on the weekend.

Keith

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Scott,
What are you using to get the transfer rates?
I should do some testing now I've got my machine rebuilt.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:24 pm

ATTO (bench32)
http://www.attotech.com/products/produc ... _Benchmark

I might have used a link like this one to download (no reg required)
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/17 ... v2.46.html

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:41 pm

I think the indexing was in progress when I just ran these, but still a good indication. I'm keen to see what speeds you see from the Vertex, coz I know my SATA3 isn't optimal to get the most from it.
atto-ssd.PNG

atto-seagate2tb.PNG

atto-ssd-lolz.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brad

Postby Brad » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Interesting - I don't have SATA3 - just SATA2. Both reads and writes on my Vertex 3 are topping out at about 280 MB/s or about 75% of theoretical rates.
B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:43 am

I thought you upgraded... Anyway though, that sounds about right. You are pretty much at the max for SATA2 (theoretical speed is only ever that). There would be *some* noticeable difference if you had SATA3, but for the most part it's the seek times that SSD gives you the real-world speed boost, so most of the time you probably aren't saturating the SATA2 port anyway.

Brad

Postby Brad » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:30 am

I'm in the process of upgrading my server, but I decided I couldnt justify $500 for a maximum 20% increase in CPU throughput on the gaming machine, so I'll just have to live with SATA2.

In the real world this is noticably faster than the Raid 0 drives that it replaced, although it doesn't particularly show that in the benchmarking.
It is noticably quicker getting into the game in Battlefield 3 now - that is probably where it counts for me :)

I've finished moving my games machine into the new case, and got the GTX680 watercooled now. Just need to work out which one of the 7 fans in the case is not balanced and making an annoying noise now. I'll try to post some pics over the weekend.

B

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:21 pm

A new case and cpu cooler is probably my next purchase. I'm happy to cope with my current mb/cpu combo, but needing to keep the side cover off is annoying.

Brad

Postby Brad » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:56 pm

I ran the benchmarking in AIDA64:
diskbench.png

I'd say that the Sata2 speed is the limiting factor there - the buffered reads from the raid0 go close to double the speed. In the real world, the new drive is close to double the speed of the raid0 with spinning disks.
Its tempting to see whether a sata3 card would be worth it. Any idea whether you can boot from a drive attached to a raid card?

B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:50 am

You can get non-RAID sata3 cards, unless you needed the raid for something else. Yes you should be able to boot to it, but worse case would be a local attached drive with a 100mb system boot partition that hands over to the addin card. Shouldn't need to do that though.

Brad

Postby Brad » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:29 pm

$19 for a RocketRaid 62x card, - not actually raid, but 2 x Sata3 ports on a PCIe x1 card. I needed to install it first and run a boot cycle before I could switch over and get it to boot directly from the card, but no problems now. And a great result for $19 - 70% increase in speed from the drive. If you're installing a SSD, you'd be nuts to run it on Sata2 when it is that easy to upgrade to Sata3.
diskbenchsata3.png

B

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Good to hear. I still remember the pre-Win7 days when something as "simple" as installing a new disk controller as your boot device would have involved quite a bit more jiggery-pokery to work. :)

Brad

Postby Brad » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:11 am

Yep. Overclocking your video card safely is a different question - still learning where the boundaries are on my new setup, which explains the drop out last night.

B

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Maybe the triple screen thing is pushing a bit too hard? I only had two bad rounds last night, both were when you joined came online :)

Return to “Hardware”