New camera - Canon EOS 650D

Discussions about what to spend that hard fought for tax refund on
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

New camera - Canon EOS 650D

Postby Mort » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:37 pm

Just picked up my new camera... who says all those credit card reward points are no good...

Canon 650D with a twin lens kit (18-55 and 55-250). I actually got it from Myers coz they were the same price as JB- HiFi and were also throwing in a decent bag and a high speed class10 SD card.
It was a tough choice between the 650D and the 60D, but the extra "prosumer" functions are better suited for me than the "semi-pro" differences the 60D has.

Just waiting for the battery to charge, and planning my first shots to be some long exposure night-sky images...

Now I'm starting to work on my wish-list of lenses, adapters and optional extras.

Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Re: New camera - Canon EOS 650D

Postby Jeff » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:50 pm

It's long winding road..... that I have been down before.

My paired back post pro era kit is pretty light on. Planning to take my 30D and a 30mmF1.4 to Thailand with me in two weeks, plus two compact cameras.

That's all.

Jeff
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:35 pm

Yeah, the compact cameras and even the vastly improved capabilities of mobile phone cameras will still probably be our primary photo capture systems now, but the SLR is really for use in specific circumstances that it can do a much better job at.

But damn it takes nice photos, now it just needs a decent photographer to go with it.

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:01 pm

Jeff wrote:It's long winding road..... that I have been down before.

My paired back post pro era kit is pretty light on. Planning to take my 30D and a 30mmF1.4 to Thailand with me in two weeks, plus two compact cameras.

That's all.

Jeff

Jeff,
Why just the 30mm? Are you finding the resolution high enough that you can crop to anything smaller?

I ended up getting a Sony NEX-5N as my main camera. The smaller kit is much better for travel, but you get 90% of the benefits of a full SLR. I also ended up getting a Canon S100 as my compact, which is has a much bigger sensor and faster lens than any other compact on the market. After playing with both of these for a couple of months, I probably could have lived with just the S100. I'm debating whether I need / want a second lens for the Sony.

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:49 am

Mort, have fun with the 650D.

we have an S100 and C uses it for all travel except her treks to nepal and india.
brilliant camera.
good upgrade from the S90 (i think it was) that was stolen.

Brad

Postby Brad » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:01 am

Scott,

My one suggestion for accessories for the camera is to shell out for adobe Lightroom or something similar. It has distortion profiles for most lenses at that level and the post processing makes a huge difference to the quality of your photos. I would have said my Sony is just an average camera without it - there is a noticeable level of distortion in the wide end of the lens. But the post-Lightroom photos are great.

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:52 pm

The camera actually has distortion and chromatic aberration adjustments built into it for various lenses. It does firmware updates to add new lenses as they are released. It also comes with software to handle post-processing, especially for RAW format shooting.

I'll see how it goes. If it's something I notice needing correction then I'll check out Lightroom if the Canon software doesn't do it.

One accessory I was thinking of getting was a remote control so I could do BULB shots, but I don't think I need to now. I found out the touch screen actually works as a touch to start, touch again to stop, so I don't need to be "holding down" the button the whole time. Most long exposure stuff will probably be done using the PC control software anyway, but there are a lot of really nice capabilities that the touch screen brings for this camera.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:00 pm

have you been doing much astrophotography before thsi camera or is it something you are just getting into now?
we have done a little bit with C's D7000, most of which has been in Nepal or India- mostly C doing it on treks.

I have a fairly beefy mount and telescope for astrophotography but never used it whilst studying japanese.
recently i bought a Vixen Polarie http://www.vixenoptics.com/mounts/polarie.html for our trip to Ladakh but it was monsoon season in India so mostly just clouds.
you might find this a good accessory.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:51 pm

I don't know if I'll get into any serious astrophotography, but so far I've been able to manage shots of Saturn/Jupiter/moon using a combination of cameras through the telescope eyepiece. I'm planning to get a T-Mount for the DSLR to see how it goes. Considering the shots I've been able to pull off just holding my phones camera or my webcam to the eyepiece I imagine I should manage a bit better with this camera.

The Polarie looks interesting, but I can't find anything to say if it works in the southern hemisphere. Besides which at $430 its more than I want to spend just now, and my telescope already has a motor-drive that works well as long as I get it all aligned correctly.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:47 pm

it does work in the southern hemisphere. it is a good alternative to pulling out the telescope- all you need is a tripod and ball head.

anyway, for future reference. i am a member of the Ice In Space forum http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/index.php and i have attached a link to an example (there are many more) of teh polarie in action here in australia. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=95394&highlight=polarie.

there is quite a lot on that forum about astrophotgraphy. with a laptop/ipad (you have those :D ) attached and some software, your motor drive + telescope will do quite a lot. ignore the above if i am giving you info you already know.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Yeah, I've been toying with all this and reading lots for a while now, but I still find there's way more I have to learn, so the more links the merrier.

How does the Polarie work? Is it actually using a camera to track a star, or is it just a geared motor assembly that just keeps slowly turning the mount?

My next task will be to join an astronomy club so I can legally get myself a laser pointer. Had a play with one that a work friend bought in Bali and it's absolutely amazing at using as a pointer up into the sky!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:08 pm

To answer Brad's questions.

I tend not to want zoomed in shots on holidays and I can always move my feet. Actually sold all my pro zooms and only own a 20mm, 30mm a 50mm and an 85mm these days, all f1.8 or faster, I shoot below F2.8 most of the time. I like to look inconspicuous as a photographer. I do want a new compact like a G12 but wifey knocked me back :) So I have the 30 1.4f for when I'm serious, a little Fuji Finexpix f50 which was when it was new, the best low light compact going around. Most of my shots I'll take with that, great little camera. The Panasonic FT 1 , is does my HD video and my water sports and action.

I sold my 1D a year ago. Too big for my non pro use. I no longer need to impress gear saavy customers.

I'd love this http://camerapro.net.au/leica-body-blac ... pgodAlAA6w

But will end up with this http://www.canon.com.au/For-You/Digital ... G12-Camera

I'd take a full kit if I was off to Africa or Alaska, somewhere where I thought I'm going to shoot landscape. In Asia I love shooting people, at, work , in markets, in context, and I don't want to be obvious.

My to best award winning photos have been taken on compacts. Nobody thinks your serious.

Jeff
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:31 pm

@Mort:
the polarie essentially is a commercial barn door mount.
it does not track anything but by pointing at the southern (or northern) pole and angling to your latitude you can track for several minutes (although 2 minutes is about it for within the city lights).
teh ball mount is between the polarie and camera so that you can point anywhere.

the Ice In Space forum is very active and there are quite a few award winning astrophotographers on it, many of which have had their photos on NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) web site so i recommend it.

I have a couple of telescopes and mounts but have not done as much as I would have liked for the last few years!

@Jeff
that leica looks like the first camera with a mirrorless lens system. is that right?

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:45 pm

Ah, so the polarie is basically a motor drive. Aligning to the southern sky is tricky, but I've worked out the spots and alignment in my backyard. Being in the city I do get a fair amount of light pollution, but it's dark/clear enough to get some decent practice in.

@Jeff - $7k for a compact camera? Nice to dream I suppose but what would it give you for that price really?

I've been having fun with the continuous shot mode today, catching birds in flight, cat jumping around, ant chasing each other, planes and helicopters flying overhead. I never really appreciated just what shutter-lag meant until today. The recent compact cameras would be a lot better than what I used in the past, but it would be good to compare how they'd go against a modern DSLR as well.

The newer compact cameras with semi-SLR style lenses are an interesting concept, but then you are in the worst of both worlds. The compromises of a compact camera and the hassle of large/multiple lenses.

I like Jeff's idea of having the SLR with a small prime lens, and then a compact zoom camera for "ordinary stuff".

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:55 am

For me, three things most important in a camera. Is the sensor large enough to be good in low light? Is glass fast enough to give me a shallow depth of field and how does it handle. DSLR's do this better than any compacts but they are cumbersome at times. So if I only take ones lens on a holiday then I have no decisions to make other than where do I stand. It is my style these days. I tend to like all my shots to have context. I'm not going to take close ups of far away things. The only debate with me on a trip like this is is it the 20mmF1.8 or the 30mmF1.4.

I love the Leica, because I love the style of photo it allows you to take.

The G12 is a catch all camera, not brilliant at anything, not bad at anything.

Yes, Brad I can crop, but I'll never want a big print from a crop. My context photos are the ones I want bigger. When I went to Vietnam I took only two compacts and it was fine. I could be the same again. But I think I want the DSLR this time.

Return to “Hardware”