New camera - Canon EOS 650D

Discussions about what to spend that hard fought for tax refund on
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: New camera - Canon EOS 650D

Postby Mort » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:42 pm

Bugger, it looks like the Canon EOS Utility software can't install on Windows 8. I keep getting a "Installation program of EOS Digital Updaters requires administrator privileges". Time to pull out the hacking hat and see if I can shoehorn this sucker. Tried calling Canon support but they didn't even know Windows 8 was out yet.

Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Postby Jeff » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:55 am

Get Adobe Lightroom and move on Scott.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:07 am

the EOS utility is good for controlling the camera when doing astrophotography.
this is one of many reasons Canon cameras are good for Astrophotography.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:50 am

Jeff wrote:Get Adobe Lightroom and move on Scott.

From what I can tell it doesn't give the ability to remote control the camera though... that's what I'm trying to install the Canon Utils for. If lightroom can do that they don't make it very obvious on the Adobe site.

The camera does have a nice auto continuous mode though. I can just set it to take up to 10 shots in a row, so that way I don't need to worry about touching it for each shot. Because of the level of detail it is able to capture though any night-sky exposures longer than 4 seconds will show star-trails, and this way I can get it to take multiple shorter exposures and then I can stack them afterwards. Will sort out the tracking on the telescope and then mount the camera on top to get better long exposure shots.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Mort wrote: Because of the level of detail it is able to capture though any night-sky exposures longer than 4 seconds will show star-trails, and this way I can get it to take multiple shorter exposures and then I can stack them afterwards. Will sort out the tracking on the telescope and then mount the camera on top to get better long exposure shots.

actually, you can take shots much longer than 4 seconds when mounted on a camera tripod, although through a telescope eyepiece you are probably right.
from what i have experienced, 4 seconds is not really enough to get good colour, even with stacking. I would be interested to see your images when you have some.

maybe some options are:
1. for planets: get a webcam, or use your camera in movie mode probably, and mount it to the eyepiece/t-adapter (focus may be difficult to get if mounted with a T-adapter?)
then use regsitax (i think) to break up the AVI and stack the shots (not done this myself but it is documented on the IIS website under Projects & Articles, i think)
this provides some spectacular images. Mike Salway (IIS founder) has contributed to scientific papers with shots of Jupiter this way (he is in IT)

2. widefield:
take some widefield shots when mounted on your tripod
the length of time you can expose before seeing noticeable trailing depends upon where youa re pointing (near the pole or towards the zenith). teh formula for this is on the IIS forum somewhere and is soemthing like
exp_time= 700/focal_length

I have seen great shots of the milky way up to 40 seconds

3. deep sky: does your mount allow for autoguiding?
maybe need to upgrade the mount to do autoguiding :D

The EOS utility helps focusing, too. we just use live view on the Nikon D7000.

Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Postby Jeff » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Are yes, sorry, I'm talking processing files.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:35 pm

@Jeff - Once I get as far as doing post-processing stuff then I'll start to investigate options. At the moment I'm just doing the learning curve thing of what the camera can do.

@DJ - I was using the camera on a fixed tripod, just testing out the effects of shutter/aperture/ISO combinations. It has no problem doing long exposures. I did a couple of 2 minute shots that return a spectacular level of detail, but the blurring from trailing is pretty obvious :)

1. For planets, yup, my "home made foam and rubber band webcam mount" has done wonders when I had the chance to grab Saturn. I did a couple of quick registax runs that worked, but I need to spend more time working it out better. What would be really cool is if the DSLR in movie mode (full HD) can also work in this capacity, coz the quality would be way better than a webcam.

2. Still got plenty lots of learning to do, and I will hopefully get around to understanding it sometime. As said above, just playing around at the moment...

3. I have an equatorial mount with a motor drive. It doesn't do autoguiding (I'm not made of money) but I've found I can get a pretty accurate alignment done and once I get the speed on the motor drive adjusted I've had no problems keeping Saturn in the center of a 13mm eyepiece for an hour or so.

Early days, and still plenty to learn. I need to start with the vocabulary first. The terms used in photography in general are enough, and then I need to learn the extra stuff for telescopes, and *then* the stuff for astrophotography.

I posted on the iceinspace forums after reading through some of the threads there about if I will even be able to get focus using my DSLR with my current telescope. I'm not actually sure I can yet, and don't know if I want to spend the $80 on the Tmount bits just to find out.

One thing I have worked out is getting focus for long exposures. Interestingly enough I can't just spin the focus knob to "infinity", it actually needs to be back a fraction from full lock. What has been really fantastic is using the LCD with live view mode. I look through the eyepiece to centre on a bright star, then switch to live view and use the pre-view digital zoom function (display only, not for capture) to do a super zoom on the star, then I can fine-tune the focus to get it appearing as a perfectly focused dot. The touch screen can also act as a shutter trigger which I find is much better to use because it only needs the lightest touch and doesn't cause any camera wobble that happens if I use the shutter button.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 pm

lightroom is pretty good and C uses it almost exclusevely now. I got it at Student prices otherwise we may never have bought it.
bit of a learning curve with Lightroom

Previously we have had good success with Picassa.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Mort wrote:
@DJ - I was using the camera on a fixed tripod, just testing out the effects of shutter/aperture/ISO combinations. It has no problem doing long exposures. I did a couple of 2 minute shots that return a spectacular level of detail, but the blurring from trailing is pretty obvious :)

that's the lack of auto-guiding. i say splurge!

3. I have an equatorial mount with a motor drive. It doesn't do autoguiding (I'm not made of money) but I've found I can get a pretty accurate alignment done and once I get the speed on the motor drive adjusted I've had no problems keeping Saturn in the center of a 13mm eyepiece for an hour or so.

did i mention splurging? :-D

I posted on the iceinspace forums after reading through some of the threads there about if I will even be able to get focus using my DSLR with my current telescope. I'm not actually sure I can yet, and don't know if I want to spend the $80 on the Tmount bits just to find out.

yeah, not sure about that, either. I had a quick look at some EQ130 specific sites and they suggest not, although maybe with a barlow between the telescope and the camera.

One thing I have worked out is getting focus for long exposures. Interestingly enough I can't just spin the focus knob to "infinity", it actually needs to be back a fraction from full lock. What has been really fantastic is using the LCD with live view mode. I look through the eyepiece to centre on a bright star, then switch to live view and use the pre-view digital zoom function (display only, not for capture) to do a super zoom on the star, then I can fine-tune the focus to get it appearing as a perfectly focused dot. The touch screen can also act as a shutter trigger which I find is much better to use because it only needs the lightest touch and doesn't cause any camera wobble that happens if I use the shutter button.

[/quote]

yes, that "infinity" thing is a bit frustrating, actually...
our previous DSLR did not have Live View- that was a pain in the backside. Now with the D7000 liveview is great. When you get the EOS utility working you may find it even better as I think it can focus on a laptop screen. also, there are some free programs that let you use a light curve to focus- even better!

does teh canon 650D have a shutter delay setting? that would be handy...

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:49 pm

I (very carefully) tried holding the camera body sans-lens up to the focuser without an eyepiece to see if I could get it to focus on a distant tree, but it couldn't. If the moon was up I'd test on that as I really need something that is much further away to test focus abilities. I didn't test it with the Barlow as I didn't think that would matter. I guess I just figured if it couldn't focus without the barlow, then with the barlow would have just been worse?

I didn't buy this scope with DSLR astrophotography in mind, and I didn't buy the camera specifically to use on the telescope. It would be nice if they can both work together, but I'm happy to mess around with other options until I decide how serious (read: splurge) I want to be with all this sort of thing.

Shutter delay setting? You mean like press the button and it takes a photo 2-3 seconds later? If so then yes, it's just the self-portrait type mode (don't all cameras?). As I mentioned if I use the auto multi-shot mode it also does a count-down before it starts taking the photos, so that gives it plenty of time to stop any wobbles after pressing the button.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:57 pm

i just get a bit excited when i talk astronomy!
keep doing the widefield stuff (camera and tripod) and i will look forward to seeing your shots!

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:54 pm

Just did some more (very careful) testing holding the camera body up to the focuser to see if it could focus on any stars (no moon or planets to look at)

Just the focuser with no additional lenses it's *just* out of focus, but if I put the 2xbarlow in then it has no problems focusing. the lens on my barlow can unscrew and then screw onto another eyepiece directly, so I expect the t-mount will also be threaded at the bottom to allow for filters etc, so the barlow should screw onto that no problems.

Now I just need to work out what bits I want to get.

Re the widefield shots: the latest version of registax is different to the last time I used it and I'm having problems trying to work it out. None of the online guides I've found use the new version either so I'll need to experiment a bit more.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:28 pm

Bummer, in a nice little place with very little light pollution (Kiama) and the clouds have come in and blocked the sky. Oh well, at least there was a storm out to sea for me to practice on and some nice lights off in the distance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:16 am

the shot of the lightning is great. :D

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:29 pm

I found a really nice dark place. Took a bunch of photos to try out different shutter/aperture/ISO combinations. It's amazing how different it is compares to Sydney.

So here is a slightly tweaked (just to remove some brightness) of the milky-way, and another of a better shot out over Kiama harbour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hardware”