New camera - Canon EOS 650D

Discussions about what to spend that hard fought for tax refund on
DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Re: New camera - Canon EOS 650D

Postby DJDrDamage » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:08 am

I really like the shot of the bay- you captured the clouds nicely.

regarding the image of the milky way:
- nice job with the new camera, not a lot of noise at all.
- looks just like mine. :D
- do you have the EXIF details?
- I have labelled a few features on your image and attached it here. There are lots more fatures all around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:09 am

That particular photo:
F/3.5
E: 20sec
ISO-3200

I also did some photos at ISO-12800 and the camera has awesome noise compensation even using the basic built-in dark frame subtraction. I also only took them as JPG, but when I get a better idea of settings to use I'll start grabbing them as RAW+JPG for the best of both worlds.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Look what I found. Now I'm really keen to see what things would like with the telescope. Here's a crop just using the 250mm telephoto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:33 pm

I've managed to get the EOS camera software installed on my laptop. Turns out it was something wrong with my user profile that must have carried over from the Win7 upgrade.

I *really* like the remote control functions. Switch to live shoot mode and I can control everything except zoom. Discovered it has an intervalometer in the software as well, so I'll be giving the camera a work out with some time lapse stuff as well.

I've also picked up a T-Mount and eyepiece projector for the telescope. Had a quick play the other night but will need a lot more practice before I get the combination of equipment and camera settings worked out. I did manage to get some shots of Jupiter but the battery went flat just as I worked out how to get it right!

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:46 pm

there are a lot of good timelapse videos out there, especially on vimeo, and so your time lapse stuff will be interesting to see.

abotu battery life- next you will go and get a 12V battery to power overnight :D

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:43 pm

haha, I've already been looking for the power adapter. They make it tough because it's not just a plug on the side for a transformer, it's a mock battery that then has a cable running to the power. Any time lapse I start with will probably not be night time stuff.

Return to “Hardware”