CPU coolers - what do you have?

Discussions about what to spend that hard fought for tax refund on
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

CPU coolers - what do you have?

Postby Mort » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:47 am

I'm happy enough with my system as it is, no urgent need for further hardware upgrades, however I've finally decided that the stock AMD cpu cooler needs replacing. Under load it's the only thing in my machine that makes a noise, and at full speed it is pretty loud.

So, what are others using? I've got a fair bit of space to play with, but not sure I want to go down the liquid cooling path, although the pre-built kits that are available now do look quite appealing, it would also require some case modifications to fit properly (I only have space for a 100mm fan at the back)

Should also mention I am running the MB vertically, so some I do have some concerns about the weight of the more exotic coolers that seem to stand out a fair bit.

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: CPU coolers - what do you have?

Postby Brad » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Watercooled for my main rig - about the 4th machine these parts have been in now.

I do have one of those big zalman copper monstrosities on my server - whilst there is a fair bit of weight in it, it doesnt seem to cause any problems for any of the motherboards I've had it on.

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Piers

Postby Piers » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:57 pm

I have a stupidly large Coolermaster V8, which had languished in a box for years until I had a case big enough for it. I wouldn't buy one again as it's a pain to attach though, go for a Xigmatek or Noctua

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:02 pm

I would encourage you to think through your actions here.

No CPU noise means no excuse to not wear headphones means no excuse as to why you didnt hear the screams of your significant other to help her with the kids.

Keith

Piers

Postby Piers » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:16 am

Should have said, the pricepoint of the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus makes it best value for money.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:11 am

Decided to give one of the "all-in-one" liquid cooling rigs a try
http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sku-aa1 ... cpu_cooler
Might require me to make a small bracket to mount in the case properly, but none of the better air-coolers would fit well either. Next thing might be to consider a case with better space and air-flow options.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:11 pm

Picked the stuff up. Will install after I pick youngest from school. I'll take photos as well (I think it's a T&C requirement on all new hardware isn't it?) and post them up if they appear remotely interesting. Most likely they will be photos of the dodgy mounting method I end up using.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:47 pm

looking forward to the results.
my house hits 40+ degrees in summer and may need better cooling

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:15 pm

So, old stock heatsink - After only a few minutes of BF3 all cores (4) would be pushing around 65'C and the fan would be flat out. *Very* noisy. It's possible that a new application of paste could have helped, but meh.

So new cooler has been installed and has been running Prime95 for the last hour. One core has peaked at 56'C and the rest range from 40-50. Big difference is I can see the CPU is totally pegged at 100% on all four cores and there has been no noticeable change in sound from the cooler. In BF3 the CPU was never running at total capacity (perhaps 80-90%) but it would max it's temperature out easily. So the cooler is working, and for the most part is completely silent, and the whole kit is SO MUCH LIGHTER than chunk of copper with a fan on it.

Now, I can hear it a bit (mild hum) because I don't have one side of my case on, but it's quieter than the other stuff in my room. A new case is probably on my list next sometime.

All packed (pre-assembled) in its box. No fiddling with messy liquids here, it's all done and sealed
WP_001683.jpg

All installed nice and not so neat. Not too tricky at all. Deciding which way to face it was the hardest part
WP_001687.jpg

And yes those are garden twist ties suspending the radiator from the PSU bracket. I'll decide what to do about that. either build a bracket or just get a new case.
WP_001688.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hardware”