Digital PVR

Discussions about what to spend that hard fought for tax refund on
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Digital PVR

Postby Mort » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:50 pm

Time to get with the modern age and upgrade our analogue PVR... although we don't really record anything so not sure it's worth upgrading. On the other hand we might not bother to record anything coz analogue recording is so incredibly crap (did we really used to watch TV with analogue signals?)

Looking at the Panasonic DMR-PWT520GL. It's also got a Blu-Ray player and can do DLNA as a server and client. There seems to be a few drawbacks with the file types it supports playing over the network, but that's not really a huge issue for me (I've still got the Boxee)

Has anyone else (Keith?) bought a PVR thingy recently. If so, what did you get, what do you think of it, and would you get it again?

Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Re: Digital PVR

Postby Jeff » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:45 pm

I have a DMR PVT 520 and we love it. The only annoying thing is not being able to a series. Works a treat, everyone can use it. I have yet to use the play from server feature but iview is good and we have used that a bit.

Jeff
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm

I ended up getting the :
Panasonic DMR-XW390 DVD Disc Recorder 500Gb HDD Twin HD Tuner DMRXW390 - 439
http://www.bigbrownbox.com.au/dvd/recorders/

At the time it was a toss up between that and the Blue Ray version - I went with the DVD because you cant record from the HDD to the DVD which I used to do a fair bit. Have found now though in practice with the WD media centre hooked up to the TV and all the movies I have on that I no longer do this but its nice to have the option. I think if I had my time again I would have probably gone with the blue ray version which is what you are looking at.

In terms of the PVR on the Panasonic its great - 2 tuners and has a in built guide for recording TV which is reasonably up to date. Was a snap to set up and works like a treat.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:42 am

Yup, I'm using our credit card reward points and it works out that the best deal is to get Myer Gift Vouchers and buy it from them. We've bought quite a bit from Myer recently as their prices have been pretty close to everyone else, and the "exchange rate" we get on their gift cards is way better than other retailer options we have.

Return to “Hardware”