My SSD upgrade

Discussions about what to spend that hard fought for tax refund on
DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

My SSD upgrade

Postby DJDrDamage » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:05 pm

well, all this talk of SSDs has encouraged me to buy one and migrate my C: drive across.

I bought the Samsung 840 Pro SSD (256 GB- well, 240 GB in reality).
After futzing around with defrag software and trying to shrink my HDD C: drive partition to get it to fit, I just decided to buy "Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 3.0" software

25 minutes later, and a tweak in registry and BIOS for AHCI, I have a working SSD as my system drive.
Just moved my Steam cache, as well, using Mort's scripts (very handy, thanks).

first test: open Photoshop CS5 --> 2s
I can live with that.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: My SSD upgrade

Postby Mort » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:42 pm

You should have just taken the opportunity to do a fresh install. It's a pain having to reload apps etc, but I find it's worth it because it also means all that stuff you've installed over time but never really used also gets left behind. If you realise you do need it then can just install ad-hoc.

Overall though, yeah, the SSD really makes a phenomenal difference.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:16 pm

i thought about doing a fresh install of windows and apps but this was the simplest way to ensure the apps C. used were available right away, with all of the correct file locations and files. For example, picasa, lightroom, photoshop, and so on.

Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Piers » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:41 pm

I've finally bought one, but an mSATA one as my motherboard has the slot for it - which means I can't use the Samsung migration software as I can't plug it into a usb or sata port :(
Anyone know the best approach? I probably ought to do a fresh install but really would rather clone/migrate.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Well dont know if this is the best way but when I bought mine I reinstalled Windows on the SSD and then moved everything over - little bit of hassle but my technical skills are way too marginal to try anything else.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:40 pm

You can do a fresh install and use the Windows Easy Transfer tool to move your profiles and data over. Things like Steam and Origin caches I leave on the larger disk and use links on the SSD just for the games I want to go faster. You will need to reinstall programs etc though. While it is a pain at first, a clean install is so much nicer when you realise how much crud accumulates over time.

Pretty sure it's standard in Win7 and Win8, so just do a search for "Easy transfer" from the start menu and work from there.

How big is your current drive, and how big is the SSD? Is it big enough for a clone/migrate anyway?

Piers

Postby Piers » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:00 pm

Yeah, I managed to reduce my C: to ~ 150GB and I went al out and picked up a 500GB SSD so the transfer should be easy.
I'm checking out Easy Transfer now... I did a clean install when I moved to Win7 so it shouldn't be too much hassle to put it on the new SSD and rebuild my installed apps, I just wanted to avoid that as it seemed to be easy according to the bumfluff.

Piers

Postby Piers » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:34 pm

Excellent, it's slotted into the MB and shows up, now should I format it with MBR or GPT? I'm thinking MBR but would be interested to know is GPT actually gives any benefit and what you all have used.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:18 am

MBR.

GPT will do nothing for you in a workstation setup.

And if you are poking around settings, leave it as a "basic" disk, don't go changing it to dynamic.

Piers

Postby Piers » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:23 am

Yeah, I'd already done MBR/NTFS based on what I've read. Now I just need to drop Win7 on it and maybe switch to AHCI - not sure how my other disks will like that.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu May 01, 2014 1:16 am

AHCI is a definite must. Not an issue for the other disks as it's more a question of drivers needed for booting the OS, nothing to do with the format or data on the disk itself.

Piers

Postby Piers » Thu May 01, 2014 10:16 am

Yeah, it sucked until I turned it on. Didn't realise at first I had to double boot to make sure the boot priority was right, so setup took longer than it should.
  • Open case and put in SSD - 20 min (had to remove GPU etc to reach the mSATA slot)
  • Restart in existing config - 5 min
  • Clone OS partition - 10 min (!!)
  • Restart, switch to SSD - 2 min
  • Discover sucky performance, install AHCI fixit, reboot - 5 min
  • Find nothing works, fiddle about with BIOS and revert to IDE - 15 min
  • Play happily with slightly underperforming SSD - 2 hrs
  • Finally realise that switching to AHCI was changing the boot priority, reboot and fix AHCI boot priority - 5 min (by accident)
  • Instant joy - 1ms

(Total ~ 63 minutes and periods of stuffing around in between)
Much faster than the hours it would have taken me to reinstall the apps I use, especially as some of them require significant fiddling.

Brad

Postby Brad » Thu May 01, 2014 10:59 pm

First thing to do is perform a backup. I discovered the hard way that SSDs fail in an instant, unlike a spinning drive which will give you some warning of issues 9 times out of 10.
I'm on my second SSD drive (under warranty), but reinstalling my OS drive was a major PITA.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Piers

Postby Piers » Wed May 21, 2014 10:44 am

I still have my old boot drive in there, untouched. I might set up a regular synch job to update if from my SSD so I can switch back at any time.

Brad

Postby Brad » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:31 pm

Brad wrote:First thing to do is perform a backup. I discovered the hard way that SSDs fail in an instant, unlike a spinning drive which will give you some warning of issues 9 times out of 10.
I'm on my second SSD drive (under warranty), but reinstalling my OS drive was a major PITA.

B

Excellent - 2 dead SSDs in six months.
After a month or so of increasingly flakey behaviour in windows, it got to the point where Win 8.1 wouldn't boot.
(This is a week later after our discussions Scott.)
After spotting that the power supply was flagging very slightly, I tried swapping that out (5v was sitting at about 4.9v - not sure if it was really a problem), it became obvious it was the actual SSD hardware playing up.
The drive (Sandisk extreme 256Gb) currently will stay up for about 70 seconds or so, before dying...
And ITEstate is moving, just to make the warranty claim even more annoying.

Trying a Samsung 840EVO this time.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Return to “Hardware”