iView media players

Discussions about what to spend that hard fought for tax refund on
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

iView media players

Postby Mort » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:24 pm

Yet again ABC has dropped support for more hardware devices. As luck would have it I replaced by Boxee because iView stopped working with it and bought a WDTV. Now they've dropped support for the WDTV.

In a way I'm not as sad about that as I would have expected coz the WDTV has always been a bit of a disappointment. I am rather hesitant to buy another media player type device so I'm thinking of just getting an Xbox or something that will be more updateable and likely to maintain a better level of support for more than a year at least. Chances are my Panasonic DVR has also stopped working but its iView app always sucked anyway so no loss there.

Also toying with the idea of a Chromecast or an AppleTV (with XMBC hack or something?).

Bloody technology. Get a device that excels at some aspects and yet are we doomed to be constantly disappointed by some other aspect that fails to perform?

What's everybody else using at the moment, and what are the bits about it that you wish it would do better?

KRaM
Clan Poet

Re: iView media players

Postby KRaM » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:20 pm

Yes I noticed that the other day as well with my WD TV media hub - annoying as hell, not that we use the service much but still.....

Chromecast has caught my eye as an alternative but we dont use iView enough on the TV to make it worthwhile. Eventually I suspect I will end up with a console upstairs but no great hurry.

I have been asked a few times now by the oldest but I have told her sternly we dont use the "C" word in this house.

Keith

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:23 pm

I'm using Plex on the server streaming to the Apple tv. Seems to work well for all your media files and then has plugins for iview etc if necessary.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:16 pm

How does plex stream iview? Haven't looked at Plex in ages, so might have to check it out, but still need to have a media device that can use it on the TV.

Stoopid technologies

Brad

Postby Brad » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:33 pm

Plex is a media streaming server - runs on Windows / Linux / OS X and is a free download.

It streams and can transcode on the fly. Download it and give it a go - doesn't cost a dime and will run on windows easily. Test it out in a browser.

For apple tv, it streams to the box via HTML 5.
There is a plugin that will stream iview - I haven't used it but it would just push the iview web interface onto the apple tv.

The Apple tv has a trailers app, that normally points to an apple web page. Plex has a very nice hack - it runs a dns cache. You point the apple tv to the plex server for dns, and it redirects the trailer web site to its own page.

Apple tv makes for about the cheapest tv interface that you are going to find. Its only about $100.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:55 pm

I know what plex is, but how does it "stream" the iview menus etc so you can pick what you want it to stream? Or is it presenting the iview catalogue as a media library?

Return to “Hardware”